The waves of anime and manga have taken the whole world by storm. It has become one of the most famous Japanese exports. Its influence even found the way to Hollywood, where prominent directors made hugely successful movies inspired by them.
This huge popularity gave rise to streaming services dedicated to anime and manga. Out of a long list of streaming services available on the internet, Crunchyroll is said to be one of the best in terms of quality of services. If you are an anime fan, chances are you have learned about Crunchyroll at some point in your quest for content.
With great quality, Crunchyroll comes with some drawbacks as well. Its free content is limited, and though premium service provides quality content, it has restricted its availability according to the user’s location. To add insult to injury… it also restricts VPN usage.
Although a bit more difficult, there are still ways to bypass these restrictions. Here is how it can be done:
Use a VPN
Let’s get one thing out of the way first. Crunchyroll uses geo-restriction on its content. Although its library is huge, the biggest chunk is available for its U.S. audience. It simply means that you need to appear to be accessing it from the U.S., whether you are there or not. The only way to do that is by violating its terms of services.
The use of a VPN service is a must. Crunchyroll knows this, so they are on the lookout for VPN users. They are looking for ways to identify them and block them all the time.
You have to be super stealthy … but… you might be wondering…
How does crunchy roll know that you are using a VPN?
You were using your VPN just fine before you found out that you are receiving error messages while accessing it. How did that happen? Did your VPN get found out?
What actually happened here was that the IP you were given was found out to be in use of a VPN service provider, and was thus blacklisted by the Crunchyroll website.
Steps to avoid being detected by Crunchyroll
So you can simply try again by:
- Trying a different IP address if your VPN provides this option.
- Trying to connect to a different server provided by your VPN.
- And if both the above-mentioned options don’t work, you can try switching your VPN service altogether to see if that works.
Before you check out different VPNs, you can do a bit more to be extra careful by following the options below…
· Set proper date and time
If somebody wants to find out if someone is using a VPN then usually the easiest give-away, after a known IP address range, is a mismatch in the visitor’s date/time and their provided location’s date/time. Imagine someone calling you from your hometown and saying good morning at 8 p.m. at night. Won’t you be suspicious?
So, check your date/time. It should be according to your selected place of origin in your VPN.
Here is how to set it on a Windows OS:
- Open date/time settings from the control panel.
- Set your date/time according to the target location.
Set Easter Time in the U.S. and Canada as your time zone.
- Apply the setting and then restart your computer
- Once restarted… turn on the VPN and go.
Note: if your device has any location-based services, you should disable them as well.
· Clear browser cache
Before starting your VPN, open up your browser and clear all the cache data. A huge number of websites track their visitors’ internet usage and IP addresses with the help of cookies. So it’s best to clear your cache and browser history before starting the VPN service so that there are no cookies left for the websites to know which location you previously came from.
Follow the steps below to clear cache data from Google Chrome:
- Open Chrome and click on the top right side on the three dots to open up the options menu.
- Select settings.
- In the settings menu, press CTRL+Shift+Delete to open up the “Clear browsing data” window.
4. Select “Time range” as “All time.”
5. Un-check “Browsing history.”
6. Check “Cookies and other site data.”
7. Click “Clear Data.”
8. Restart Chrome and turn on your VPN.
9. Retry connecting to Crunchyroll now.
Note: You can also try to change your browser to see if that works.
When none of the above works; it is time to get a high-quality VPN service provider which specializes in bypassing restrictions.
High-quality VPN to bypass Crunchyroll’s blockage
While we could recommend a number of different high-quality premium VPN services, we’ve summed up three options below.
ExpressVPN – Prices start from $8.32 – Visit ExpressVPN
Its quality standards and technically advanced methods help users bypass any of the geo-restrictions and blocked content. It ensures data security by high-end 256 AES military-grade encryption, has more than 2,000 servers all over the world to choose from and can help you unblock a number of different streaming services.
- Apps which are supported on multiple platforms including iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS and Linux.
- Three concurrent connections for multiple devices under one account.
- User-friendly software interface.
- HD streaming.
- Zero log policy.
- Top-rated customer support which is accessible through social media, chats and email.
IPVanish – Prices start from $6.49 – Visit IPVanish
IPVanish is a VPN that specializes in speed and flexibility of use with its app, extension or just its SOCKS5 web proxy.
Some of its features are:
- P2P file sharing.
- Unlimited bandwidth for file sharing.
- Fast streaming.
- Kodi optimized service.
- 10 concurrent VPN connections.
- Zero log policy.
- Great customer support.
NordVPN – Price starts from $2.99 – Visit NordVPN
One of the oldest service providers, NordVPN focuses on technical optimizations. It has optimized servers for gaming, streaming, torrents and data downloading.
Its features include:
- More than 3,700 servers around the world.
- Double encryption.
- Multiple security protocols including TOR over VPN.
- A total of six connections under one account.
- CyberSec to block spam attacks, harmful websites and ad blocks.
- And it is the cheapest of the top VPN services starting from just $2.99.
It also has multiplatform support which includes Android, iOS, Windows and MacOS.
If while using one of these VPNs, you still face issues, then try using a different server provided by the app. Remember to set the date/time accordingly and try different browsers. In the end, if you still face issues then try the service’s customer support.
All three we’ve mentioned above have high-rated customer service.
If nothing works, then it might be time to give a different VPN provider a chance. Although almost all VPNs are updating their services regularly, you might want to switch your service provider for some time to have a go at another one.
Armed with these methods, you can be sure that whenever that new season of Boku No Hero Academia or One Punch Man comes, you’ll be ready to stream it and enjoy your weekend.