Kodi has turned into a very popular application used by millions of users to view video streaming channels like Netflix without being distracted by advertisements.
However, there are some issues one can encounter while using Kodi, particularly from the cybersecurity perspective.
There are a number of popular Kodi add-ons users download and install while using the streaming platform.
Through many may be harmless, others have been found to be vulnerable to cyber attacks.
The other issue is, if you have subscribed to some of these entertainment programs, they may deny access to you if you are travelling and outside the geographical limits of their service.
You must have a Virtual Private Network (or VPN) installed on Kodi to ensure that all these issues are resolved in one go.
But the steps to setup and install VPN on Kodi are different depending on what operating system you’re using.
Read on to find out more:
VPN for Kodi on Desktop Computers
If you’ve installed Kodi on a PC, then you must pick the right VPN service and subscribe to it.
The service provider will give you the compatible format of the VPN and you can install it.
Irrespective of whether your device runs on Windows or Mac, you will need your email address and password to have it activated.
If your device is running on Linux, you may need to turn to the user manual that has been supplied by the VPN service provider since the process could be a little complicated, though not so difficult to follow.
VPN on Android TV Box
If you are watching your favorite programs through Kodi on your TV with the help of the Android TV Box, here is how you will have to install the VPN:
- You will first have to register your VPN account using the user ID—usually the email address and the password you have selected.
- You will need a Google account. If you don’t already have one, download the Google Play Store.
- The VPN service should now be accessed through the Play Store from within the Android Box.
- From there, you can sign into the VPN. Once you’re connected, your system will be protected from hacking and you can prevent your IP address and location from being detected by a third party.
- If Your Device is Run on iOS
Those of you using an iPhone or an iPad, these are the steps to be followed:
- Reach the Apple App Store and find the VPN app you want to download.
- Download and install the VPN.
- The user ID and password to access the service would be as per what you chose while registering in the first place.
- You can now connect to the VPN and keep browsing, use Kodi to stream contents and so on.
- If the dialogue box asks you to configure the VPN, you will have to click “Allow.”
- In the next step you will be required to authenticate your own ID on your Apple device which can be done through the Touch ID (if this option is enabled on your device).
There are many settings that can be changed within the VPN app and you will learn them once the screen presents itself to you.
Other Aspects to Keep in View
Which VPN to Choose?
One of the questions you will be confronted with is which VPN service is the best.
There are free VPN services too, but many experts do not recommend using them.
This is purely from the safety perspective since, as the cliché goes, there’s no free lunch and these free service providers could be sharing data with third parties to earn revenue, which might expose you to some kind of vulnerability.
The ideal way for you would be to go through the review sites which have comments posted by users of the different VPN services and you can choose the right one.
Clearing a Common Misconception about the Kodi Environment
A misconception can be noted among certain users that their IP address is not changing within the Kodi environment, fearing that it may compromise the safety of their device.
Experts explain that what these people are observing is an internal IP address which will remain static.
It is the external IP address, the one assigned by your ISP that would be changed when connected to the VPN and anybody who tries to find out your IP address will not be able to do so.
You may be resorting to other ways to view programs on your devices via Kodi and you should know that all of them can be connected through a suitable Virtual Private Network and enjoyed.
Benefits of Using a VPN with Kodi
There is even the larger question of “why use a VPN on Kodi?” This needs to be explained here since it is quite relevant.
If you are a Kodi user you may know that it permits you to watch programs from a variety of sources (Netflix being often quoted as the example) practically free of cost.
In the normal course, your IP address is visible to your internet service provider (ISP), and they would be under obligation to the original broadcasters not to let their customers watch their program for free.
But Kodi lets you watch everything free. This is where the conflict arises and this is the clear reason why you need a VPN.
With the VPN connected, there is no way the ISP will be able to identify your IP address, nor track the usage history with details of sites visited.
They will only be able to measure the amount of data you have consumed and will raise the bill if you have exceeded the contracted data limit.
On a broader level, you gain the benefit of averting being hacked by unscrupulous elements if you have the VPN between your device and the Wi-Fi router or any other means your internet service provider has chosen to supply internet connectivity to your home or office.