The world of gaming is now incomplete without Twitch, one of the world’s largest live-streaming platforms with over 15 million daily viewers and nearly two million creators playing all sorts of games from every genre.
It’s not all about gaming on this platform, but there is plenty more; right from cooking shows to live sports being broadcasted here.
If you have made up your mind to become a Twitch game streamer, you have come to the right place.
This guide focuses on everything starting from how to prepare yourself for the job, the hardware you need and how to build an audience of your own.
What Are the Basic Requirements to Get Started on Twitch?
- A gaming PC, Xbox One or PlayStation 4 console is a must.
- Consider investing in a good pair of microphones, a web camera to catch your actions and a headset as you will mostly be playing multiplayer titles to your fans to keep them entertained.
- Setting up a gaming PC is a bit more complex as it involves some technical knowledge and time. An alternative would be to invest in a pre-built PC or a console based on your preference.
- You can also choose to stream from a high-end laptop which can play easy games like Counter-Strike, Dota or other non-demanding titles.
- A reliable streaming software, with which you should be familiar with.
- Create a Twitch account by visiting their website.
How to Choose Your Accessories Before Streaming
This guide will focus on the different microphones, webcams and streaming software available in the market from which you can choose, based on your budget and preference.
Choosing Your Microphone
A dedicated microphone is a much better choice than a gaming headset. One of the cheapest and best ones currently in the market is the Blue Yeti, which costs $129. There’s also the Yeti Nano, a smaller version of the product that’s just $100.
Choosing Your Webcam
The Logitech HD Pro C920 is a cheap and reliable option, priced at just $50 on Amazon.
Another model, the Logitech C922, costs $99 and comes with exclusive features, such as allowing you to automatically remove the background for hassle-free streaming.
The Razer Kiyo costs $99 and comes with an illuminating light, a more fancy item for streamers.
Choosing a Gaming Headset
Console streamers who play on Xbox One or PlayStation 4 can directly stream using the Twitch app on their device. A gaming headset is a more viable choice as it is compact and easy to use.
The HyperX Cloud Stinger is a cheap and reliable headset, priced at around $50.
SteelSeries Arctis 7 boasts of an amazing build quality, costs $149 and is compatible with both Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
A higher-end variant would be the Victrix Pro AF, with active noise cancellation. The price will set you back by $299, but this product is ideal for competitive gaming.
How to Sign up for a Twitch Account
- Head to the official website twitch.tv.
- Click on the button on the top right corner that reads “Sign up.”
- Choose a username.
- Provide a password and your date of birth.
- Enter your email address and click on sign up.
- You can also use your Facebook ID to sign up on Twitch.
How to Stream to Twitch from PC
- Make sure you have a decent gaming PC.
- Install your preferred broadcasting software on your computer. The popular choices are Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) and XSplit, among others.
- Use the Twitch ID that you created and log in to the website.
- Click on your user profile name and click on Dashboard.
- Choose a title for your broadcast, choose the game title and the preferred language.
- Use OBS or a compatible software to start streaming, which will directly connect to your Twitch user ID to stream. However, it requires a couple of steps before you can establish a connection, which you can find in the OBS help page.
How to Stream to Twitch from Xbox One
- Head to the Xbox store and download the Twitch app.
- Enter your login credentials and activate your device.
- Use your controller to open a game of your choice.
- When the game is running, press the Xbox button and choose Twitch from the snap menu.
- Make sure you tweak the Settings before beginning to stream and click on Start Broadcast to get going.
- Once the stream is live, you can respond using the chat window or simply move Twitch away from your main gaming screen by using the untap option.
- Double tap on your Xbox One home button and you are good to go.
How to Stream to Twitch from PlayStation 4
- Install the Twitch app on your PlayStation 4 console from the PSN store. (It is not mandatory to have this app installed as share functionality works even if Twitch is not installed.)
- Start any game of your choice.
- Tap on the Share button on your controller and choose Twitch.
- Log in using your credentials and activate the device.
- Once you have made the necessary changes in the Settings menu, you can click on Start Broadcasting to go live for your audience.
Pro Tips for Newbie Twitch Streamers
Twitch has over 2 million streamers on its platform. Professional streamers who have been in the scene for years have some valuable advice to share:
- Never be too concerned about your gear because you can always buy a new microphone, headset or upgrade your webcam when you start earning.
- Consider choosing a niche game in which you are comfortable because keeping the audience engaged is not easy if you aren’t familiar with your game.
- Make it a habit to stream regularly, be it daily or weekly, because channels with no regular updates may not become popular if the streamer is not an active member.
- Be very interactive with your viewers, share comments and create a personal touch for your channel so that people find it appealing amidst hundreds of other streamers
Becoming a professional Twitch streamer depends on a variety of factors, and if you are dedicated to the world of gaming, you can slowly build a steady base audience and start making considerable income by playing your favorite games all day long.