The ability to record your voice on your smartphone saves a lot of time in a wide range of scenarios, especially when you need to quickly make a note about something without having to write it down.
But, how do you do it on your iPhone? The process is actually very easy, and comes in handy at the most appropriate moments. The Voice Memos app for the iPhone does exactly what the name suggests.
The Voice Memos program simplifies the process of saving an audio file so that you can use it later. Be it recording an event, a lecture in a classroom or taking voice notes during an official meeting, the app will get the job done.
While the developers at Apple have introduced the AI assistant Siri and the Music Memos app to record your tunes, Voice Memos is the basic app for any kind of voice recording. The app lets you record voice memos, trim it to the necessary size and share it with anyone.
Here’s a step-by-step guide that should help you understand its features.
How to Record Voice Memos?
First and foremost, the most basic feature of them all.
- By default, the Voice Memos app is located in the utilities folder in your home screen. Launch the app.
- The interface is self-explanatory. For those who need assistance, just tap on the big ‘Red’ button in the center.
- Once you tap, the app will start recording any sounds in the surrounding region.
- A continuous sound wave indicates that recording is in progress. If you want to stop recording, tap on the Red button again.
- Click ‘Done’ to proceed to the next step.
- Once the recording has stopped, you can choose to save it as the default new recording or name it.
- Tap in the field that appears to specify a name and click save.
Then that’s it! The audio file is now saved on your iPhone/iPad for you to access anytime you want.
Browse through Previously Saved Voice Memos
Once you record a voice memo, the file can easily be saved on your device. When there are a couple of memos saved in your phone, here’s how you can access them and listen to specific recordings you want.
- Open the Voice Memos app on your iPhone/iPad. The app will be in your Utilities folder or on the home screen, if you are frequent user who wants to readily access the app anytime.
- The list of sounds recorded in the past can be found below the app’s main interface.
- You can touch to scroll through the list and tap on any one of the items to play the audio.
- When you tap on it, the file will open with a Play sign.
- Simply tap again to start playing.
How to Share a Voice Memo?
There are multiples ways to share existing voice memos from your iPhone.
- Open the Voice Memo from your home screen or utilities folder.
- Tap on the recorded file to open it.
- Right below the Play button, there is a share button. It’s a box icon with an upward arrow that indicates sharing.
- Tap on it and it will provide a list of ways to share your file.
- Share recordings via email or message, add it to a note, or do any action as you prefer.
How to Edit/Trim Your Voice Memo on iPhone/iPad?
Most users end up recording an audio clip in a hurry and it’s not always easy to get the perfect sound. Apple devices provide an option to edit and trim your file according to your needs. It helps remove any unwanted portion or provide a crisp output to the recipient.
- Open the Voice Memos app from your home screen/utilities folder, wherever you placed it last.
- Follow the same procedure as playing an audio file. Scroll through the list of recordings available and tap on the file.
- Once the file is open, click on the edit option.
- The option is located right next to the share box icon, in the center of the screen.
- Inside the Edit screen interface, click on the blue square located on the right side.
- Tap and drag the red sliders on both sides of the audio wave.
Once you are satisfied with the results, tap Trim to save the file.
- You can choose to Trim an audio file and overwrite the original. Trim Original is usually the option to go for.
- Alternatively, you can choose to Save as New Recording so that the original file is retained without any alterations.
How to Delete Voice Memos?
- Open the Voice Memos app from your device.
- Scroll through the list of previous recordings.
- Keep scrolling until the red record button is the only thing visible on top of the app.
- Click on the Edit button found on the left hand corner.
- A red circle with a dash icon will appear against all recordings.
- Click all the files you want to delete and click done once you have cleared up the space.
How to Rename & Organize Voice Memos?
When there are so many audio files available on your device, it becomes mandatory to rename some of them so that important recordings don’t get lost in the group. Here’s how you can do it.
- Open the Voice Memo app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Scroll through the files and tap on the recording you would like to edit.
- Click on the Edit button that appears.
- Tap on the name of the file.
- A label will appear where you can type a new name and click ‘Ok.’
- The same audio file will be saved with a different name.
With newer versions of iOS for both iPhone and iPad, the Voice Memos app has become more intuitive and useful than ever before. You can request Siri to open it for you and start recording as soon as a meeting begins.
Some of the actions are to be carried out manually so that you don’t delete an important file. Simply follow these simple steps and you can make the most out of the app.
With the option to record, trim and share audio files, Voice Memos is easily one of the top must-try apps for every user who owns an Apple iPhone.